Week 3 Discussion: Statistics and Probability in the News
66 unread replies.66 replies.
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 3 (All Sections)
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source
Initial Post Instructions
Keep your eyes and ears open as you read or listen to the news this week. Find/discover an example of statistics & probability in the news to discuss the following statement that represents one of the objectives of statistics analysis: “Statistics and Probability helps us make decisions based on data analysis.” Briefly discuss how the news item or article meets this objective. Cite your references. Also, keep in mind and discuss how the impact of your study on your patients or staff might differ if you found it in a journal.
Follow-Up Post Instructions
Respond to at least two peers or one peer and the instructor. Further the dialogue by providing more information and clarification.
Here are suggested responses.
- Make an inference based on the analysis and news piece of a peer.
- Find a post where the news piece can be misleading and explain why you think it is misleading.
- Minimum of 3 posts (1 initial & 2 follow-up)
- APA format for in-text citations and list of references
This activity will be graded using the Discussion Grading Rubric. Please review the following link:
Course Outcomes (CO): 3
Due Date for Initial Post: By 11:59 p.m. MT on Wednesday
Due Date for Follow-Up Posts: By 11:59 p.m. MT on Sunday