After reading the NHL Enterprises Case from our textbook, respond to the following prompts in one to five sentences:
Based on the information in the case (and as of the case’s date, 1998)
- Evaluate NHLE’s value chain?
- What does the overall value chain for this sector look like (raw material to delivery)?
- Which portions is NHLE currently engaged in?
- How would it change under the three variants of the expansion opportunity?
- Are there alternatives to vertical integration that the case doesn’t describe?
- How would the potential changes in vertical integration affect NHLE’s exposure to opportunism?
- How would the potential changes in vertical integration affect NHLE’s flexibility?
- How well do the potential changes in vertical integration align with NHLE’s resources/capabilities, organizational structure, and strategic goals?