In this course, you will consider diversity and multiculturalism. The two course competencies related to these topics are:
- Create inclusive learning environments that demonstrate respect and value of diverse backgrounds.
- Incorporate multicultural perspectives into curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
Consider these competencies and complete the first two columns of a KWL chart about them. A KWL chart is a way to activate background knowledge and to stimulate thinking about a topic; the K stands for what you know about the topic and the W stands for what you want to know about the topic. Using the KWL chart template linked in the Resources, complete the K and W sections. Post the chart to the discussion board. Then discuss the following:
- What content related to these topics feels “solid” to you? In other words, about which content do you have the firmest knowledge and experience?
- What about these topics feels “muddy” to you? In other words, with which topics do you have less knowledge and experience?
- How do this knowledge and the areas of gap affect your instructional practice?
- How would you and your students benefit if you strengthened your knowledge and skills in this area?
For this discussion, you are not required to cite sources. The discussion is asking you to assess the state of your own knowledge, so there are no right or wrong answers. However, if you wish to make reference to academic literature to enrich your discussion, you are encouraged to do so.