Please use the PICOT question below and accompanying articles. Critique 2 quantitative and 2 qualitative articles.
Write a critical appraisal that demonstrates comprehension of two quantitative research studies. Use the “Research Critique Guidelines – Part II” document to organize your essay. Successful completion of this assignment requires that you provide a rationale, include examples, and reference content from the study in your responses.
Use the practice problem and two quantitative, peer-reviewed research articles you identified in the Topic 1 assignment to complete this assignment.
A. In a 1,000–1,250 word essay, summarize two quantitative studies, explain the ways in which the findings might be used in nursing practice, and address ethical considerations associated with the conduct of the study.
Research Critiques and PICOT Statement Final Draft
Prepare this assignment as a 1,500-1,750 word paper using the instructor feedback from the previous course assignments and the guidelines below.
Revise the PICOT question you wrote in the Topic 1 assignment using the feedback you received from your instructor.
The final PICOT question will provide a framework for your capstone project (the project students must complete during their final course in the RN-BSN program of study).
In the Topic 2 and Topic 3 assignments, you completed a qualitative and quantitative research critique on two articles for each type of study (4 articles total). Use the feedback you received from your instructor on these assignments to finalize the critical analysis of each study by making appropriate revisions.
The completed analysis should connect to your identified practice problem of interest that is the basis for your PICOT question.
Refer to “Research Critiques and PICOT Guidelines – Final Draft.” Questions under each heading should be addressed as a narrative in the structure of a formal paper.
Proposed Evidence-Based Practice Change
Discuss the link between the PICOT question, the research articles, and the nursing practice problem you identified. Include relevant details and supporting explanation and use that information to propose evidence-based practice changes.
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
Picot Question: Will educating nurses to avoid distractions while administering medications compared to no education reduce medication errors?
1. Gorgich, E., Barfroshan, S., Ghoreishi, G. & Yaghoobi, M. (2016). Investigating the Causes of Medication Errors and Strategies to Prevention of Them from Nurses and Nursing Student Viewpoint. Global Journal of Health Science, 8(8), 220-227. doi: 10.5539/gjhs.v8n8p220
Gorgich and his associates (2016 study is associated with my PICOT question since it investigates the causes of medication errors and techniques to prevent them from nurses and the nursing student viewpoint. It is quantitative study since it involves a cross sectional descriptive study. The study was conducted on the nursing staff of Khatam-al-anbia hsipital and the midwifery school of Zahedan. Based on the study the medical errors can be reduced through the use of medications cards.
2. Ahmed, Z., Saada, M., Jones, A., & Al-Hamid, A. (2019). Medical errors: Healthcare professionals’ perspective at a tertiary hospital in Kuwait. Plos One. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0217023
The question related to our research questions since it researches on medical errors and identifies about the perspective of medical errors in a health care facility. This is a quantitative study since it involves a cross sectional study methods. This study aims at aims at exploring medical errors, their causes as well as preventive techniques in health care. The study mainly 4 involved questionnaire and mainly involves pharmacists, surgeons, nutritionists, physicians and dentists from tertiary hospital in Kuwait. According to the research the main cause of medical errors are high workload, lack of support systems, stress, and medical negligence.
3. Gaffney, T., Hatcher, B., Miligan, R., & Trickey, A. (2016). Enhancing Patient Safety: Factors Influencing Medical Error Recovery Among Medical-Surgical Nurses. The online Journal of Issues in Nursing, 21(3). https://ojin.nursingworld.org/MainMenuCategories/ANAMarketplace/ANAPeriodic als/OJIN/TableofContents/Vol-21-2016/No3-Sept-2016/Enhancing-PatientSafety.html
This article is related to my study since it majors on identifying ways of enhancing patient safety. It is a quantitative study since it is a descriptive cross sectional correlational study. The study was a cross sectional correlational study conducted in a sample of 184 nurses. It majored on the cause of errors in hospitals and their recovery means. Based on the nurses, creating a safe healthcare system will rely on the capability of the nurses to entirely use their education, expertise as well as the role to identity.
4. Duthie, E., Favreau, B., Ruperto, A., Mannion, J., Flink, E., & Leslie, R. (2005). Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis of Medication Errors: The New York Experience. Advances in Patient Safety: From Research to implementation. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK20445/ 5
This study is effective for my study since it majors on studying about medical errors. This study is majorly a qualitative study since it makes use of narrative data which provides major sources for system fixes. The researchers reviewed 53 RCAs provided for lessons which could be shared with the larger community in order to enhance safety. The study aims at identifying the various forms of medical errors and the way to manage them. Based on this study, sharing information in health care facilities enhances learning on patient safety initiatives.
5. Salar, A., Kiani, F., & Rezaee, N. (2020). Preventing the medication errors in hospitals: A qualitative study. International Journal of Africa Nursing Sciences, 13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijans.2020.100235
This study relates to my study in regard to the fact that it majors on how to prevent medical errors in health care. It is a qualitative study since it majors on purposive sampling method through the use of semi structured interviewed. The study aimed at identifying the techniques in which to avoid medical errors in the hospital wards in Iran. The study was carried out on 16 nurses and one physician from August 2019 to March 2020 from educational hospital of Zahedan University of Medical Sciences. Based on this study, nurses tend to commit medical error though by acting professionally toward the control systems they have a chance of decreasing the chance of medication errors through developing technical ways.
6. Mankaka, C., Waeber, G., & Gachoud, D. (2014). Female residents experiencing medical errors in general internal medicine: a qualitative study. BMC Medical Education, 14(140). https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6920-14-140 6
This study is associated with my study since it conducts a study on medical errors, its causes, consequences, and ways to prevent them. This is a qualitative study since it involves semi structured interviews. This main aim was to identify the coping mechanisms that are displayed after a medical error. The semi structured interviews were carried out with eight female residents in the general internal medicine. Based on this study it was identified that gender has an impact on the experience with errors involving the form of coping methods displayed.