Emergency Department Downtime Case Study
[WLOs: 3, 4] [CLOs: 1, 2]
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read Chapter 20 in Health Informatics: An Interprofessional Approach.
Read the Emergency Department Downtime case study found at the end of Chapter 20 in Health Informatics: An Interprofessional Approach. Answer the questions posed in the course textbook. In addition, design a form for capturing data when the Emergency Department registration system is not available.
For this assignment, you will be using Microsoft Word drawing functions in order to construct the data form. If you need assistance with using Microsoft products, you can review Microsoft’s Office Help & Training (Links to an external site.) web page.
Your case study must include
- A minimum of 20 data elements which comprise a data dictionary outlining the following fields for each data element:
- Data field name
- Field format (alpha, numeric or alpha numeric)
- Number of characters in the field
- Source of information
- Example of the content
- A memorandum to the end users written as though you were the IT Department in the case.
- A picture that plots the downtime components discussed in the case:
- Time of day/number of users
- IT infrastructure affected
- System criticality
- Planned versus unplanned
- Health system complexity
- Communication: Amount required and are communication methods affected?
- Ability to recover
The Case Study Paper
Nelson, R. & Staggers. N. (2018). Health informatics: an interprofessional approach (2nd ed.). Retrieved from https://redshelf.com
- The full-text version of this e-book is available through your online classroom.
Friedman, C. P. (2013). What informatics is and isn’t (Links to an external site.). Journal American Medical Informatics Association, 20(2),224-226. doi:10.1136/amiajnl-2012-001206
Pollard, O. (2014). Health informatics timeline (Links to an external site.) [Interactive timeline]. San Diego, CA: Ashford University. Retrieved from https://content.bridgepointeducation.com/curriculum/file/7431512d-857e-4a9e-9986-49ca91d09487/1/HIM301%20-%20Healthcare%20Informatics%20Timeline.zip/story_html5.html
World Health Organization (n.d.). Global health observatory data repository (Links to an external site.). Retrieved from http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.home