Building a Team Team building is a group process intervention that “refers to a broad range of planned activities that help groups improve the way they accomplish tasks” (Cummings & Worley, 2005, p. 230).Consider a team (e.g., department, workgroup, task force) in which you are currently participating or a team in which you formerly participated.
- Identify the team and briefly describe its function.
- Identify and briefly describe your role on the team.
- Complete Part I: Problem Identification of the “ Team Building Checklist ” (also available in the Getting Started -> Course Resources folder).
- Present your results for the exercise and your explanation of the results —e.g., if the score is low, which specific line items contributed to the low score; if the score is high, which specific line items contributed to the high score.
- Make specific recommendations for leader behavior that would improve team functioning.