You have now studied the three approaches to ethical theory (deontological, consequentialist, and virtue theory) as exemplified in the work of Immanuel Kant, John Stuart Mill, and Aristotle. Your assessment is to write an essay applying these three approaches to the following practical case:
You are called to consult in the critical care unit of your local hospital. The hospital admits JoEllen, 53, after she takes an overdose of prescription medications with alcohol. On admission, she says, “Not supposed to be here . . . ” and soon becomes uncommunicative. As her condition deteriorates rapidly, her son arrives with a notarized advance directive in which JoEllen specifically asks not to be placed on life support. What should you recommend to the attending health professionals?
As you write your essay, consider how you would achieve the following:
- Explain the ethical issue in this scenario.
- Apply the three traditional theories of normative ethics to this situation.
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of the three theories as they relate to this situation.
- Apply ethical theory to justify your stance on the right thing to do in this situation.
Your instructor may provide video feedback on your work, as well as complete the official scoring guide for the assessment.
- Written communication: Ensure written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Format resources and citations according to current APA style guidelines.
- Number of resources: Use your judgment to ensure your topic is thoroughly researched. There is no minimum number of resources required.
- Length of paper: Submit 2–3 typed, double-spaced pages.
- Font and font size: Use Arial, 12-point font.