Question 1. (10 Marks)
a. How Process migration within a heterogeneous network is usually impossible, given the differences in architectures and operating systems. Describe a method for process migration across different architectures running:
i. The same operating system
ii. Different operating systems
b. To build a robust distributed system, you must know what kinds of failures can occur.
- List three possible types of failure in a distributed system.
- Specify which of the entries in your list also are applicable to a centralized system.
Question 2. (10 Marks)
a. Protection in a Distributed system is more difficult, where the users are allowed to do their own I/O, explain your answer with justifications, Why?
b. Why is deadlock detection much more expensive in a distributed environment than in a centralized environment?
Question 3. (10 Marks)
Explain the following with diagram
- How do caches help improve performance? Why do systems not use more or larger caches if they are so useful?
- Stateful vs Stateless service
- Majority vs Biased Protocol
- Hard real time systems vs Soft real time systems
- Interrupt Latency vs Dispatch Latency